Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I'm not good at titles.

6/4/13
It hasn't been too long since I last updated timewise, but I have logged some serious mileage since then. Still, the weather has continued to be spotty, but it looks like things may be starting to dry up for a bit (fingers crossed.) So since I last updated my blog I have come through Niagara Falls, crossed the border into Ontario, stayed one night, and then pushed the the longest day (146+miles) on a bike in my life back to the States, to be greeted with a thunderstorm and expensive camping. I proceeded to head west in bad weather, utilizing some hotels through Detroit outskirts and Lansing. In better weather I road west to the western Michigan shore, got on the Lake Express which brought me from Muskegon to Milwaukee, WI, and I pedaled out of my city the first day. That brings me to now.
I wont leave it a vague as that.
Ontario was a neat experience; it was my first time ever leaving the US, which was exciting and a bit intimidating doing it alone. I made decent time in the morning and made break for a park much farther than originally planned. The first thing I noticed is that Canadians were several years behind the states in architecture, signage, and styling. The economy seemed to be in the shitter, judging by buildings and general cleanliness, however they all drove souped up, shiny new cars. Once I cleared the tourist city limits, I found myself in the middle of nowhere. A gas station was about all I was going to find outside of a "large" town. Feeling good, and wanting out of Canada, I figured I could make in to Michigan the next day in about 120 miles. I was short by a good 20 miles, which is considerable when your talking 120 vs 140 on a bicycle. I wanted to hit 25-30 miles before food, but I am glad I stopped at 17, because the next decent food source other than candy bars and ice cream sandwiches was at mile 82 at 4PM! This is also where i used a library computer to discover I had 60 more miles to the US border. It was one hell of a push, but I made it!
Welcome to Michigan, can I leave now? Michigan has been my least favorite place yet. Past New Baltimore, I began to get into Detroit overflow, and played sidewalk superhero for seemingly endless days. Rough roads, super highways, harsh sidewalk transitions, and randomly ending sidewalks and paths led to some interesting times. I am glad my bike held up to the abuse, and I am hoping my major metropolitan experiences are over until Portland, OR. Milwaukee, WI was a much better experience. Although rough, dedicated bike lanes were both utilized by bikes, and respected by drivers. After asked and officer where to avoid in the city, I followed his advice, and kept the lake in view until I needed to traverse west, where I found a nice bike/ walk only route, which gave me a few miles off the roads. County and State highways are a bit rough, with large cracks every so often, but its better than the urban jungle. 
Again, the weather has been brutal. It seems like every other 2 days I am back riding in the rain, and hiding out in a hotel for another night. The experience has been great, when the weather cooperates.
Thanks to everyone from Denny's Central Park Bikes in Okemos, MI! www.dennyscentralparkbikes.com
Huge thanks Bobby Hunt from The Bicycle Shop in Hartford, Wisconsin. I went in looking for some new bar tape, and ended up with some beautiful new bars, with amazingly comfortable wrap, at a sweet deal! I highly recomend checking out his small, yet high-end shop.  It is always nice to meet another bike addict who has a respect for quality rides, from cutting edge to classics. www.hartfordbikeshop.com
1705 miles ridden as of upload. 2 days into Wisconsin, one more will put me at the border, or just into Minnesota.

No comments:

Post a Comment