Sunday, June 9, 2013

Title....this should work.

6/8/13
4 weeks + 1 day from departure.
It has been about 2 weeks since I have seen another person that I know. It's not my first time going this long solo, but its never easy. Sure, I interact with people, but I certainly miss my friends and family from home. The weather has been cooperating a bit better the last few days, and I am hoping it continues this way. It hasn't been blazing hot or brutal sun, which is good. It also hasn't been pouring rain for a few days. The consistent overcast does get a bit depressing, but I wont complain, because sunscreen sucks.
I have been pushing consistently high mileage days, which is awesome! I haven't taken a day off since I left home for the doctor visit. When you ride 80-110 miles fully loaded everyday, live in a tent, and occasionally a h/motel when the weather truly sucks, and it your body doesn't hate you everyday, it is hard not to feel like your in the best shape of your life. That's living off fast/gas station food, and just add water meals too, I can't wait for healthy home cooked meal! I am looking forward to possibly taking a day off for my birthday this week, but depending on how logistics work out, I may just keep riding.
I just "zoomed out" on the map for the first time in a while, and was pleased with progress. It has taken four weeks to get about half way across the country, which is pretty much dead on with what I had planned initially. Its not a race, but I do like sticking to the plan, and seeing how far and hard I can push. I could easily add mileage to everyday, but logistically it doesn't always work out. I am not out for a ride for the day, everyday. I have to consider where I can set up camp or get a room for the night. I need to get meals (lots of them.) I need to ride smart everyday, so that I can wake up the next day and do it over again. There is no sense pushing 150 miles one day, if I could only do 35 the day after.
"Zooming out" also gave me a very isolated feeling. As inspiring as it is to know that I rode so far under my own power, I feel so small, in such a big place. I know all of one person in a 1000 mile radius around me. I am enjoying the trip, but I honestly have to say I am looking forward to being done at this point. I am not going to cheat or quit, but I do want to push just to finish. I am not a "sight-seer" and the logistics of high mileage do not allow for much quality interaction with other people. Living in a tent, with spotty showers, progressively more disgusting clothing, and generally less than healthy food, is getting old.  There are definitely moments of "this is the best thing ever," as well as moments of "why the f^(k did I want to do this." The general feeling now has become "I am glad I will accomplish this feat, but I miss comfortable life." I will tour more again after this trip. I do think that much more than two weeks solo will be avoided. I would also like to trade my ride in for a mountain touring bike. I have passed so many awesome looking MTB trails, that I would gladly take a day off trip progress to ride and explore, but with a road touring rig, I would destroy my bike, or myself.
I don't mean to make it sound like my life is miserable out here. There are parts of my days where, in between the pain, boredom, and loneliness, I feel invincible, or at complete peace with the world. I live for the push, the endorphin rush from physical exhaustion, and the overwhelming sense of accomplishment when finished (at least for the day.) I wish I was better with words to describe the feeling. On extremely long days, there comes a point when the pain stops, and everything gets smooth and peaceful. I don't have to think about pedaling, my legs are on auto-pilot, I'm just along for the ride. THESE are the moments that make this ride worth it for me.
6/9/13
After typing this up last night, I was concerned I may have jynxed my weather luck. Well, I did. I woke up to pouring rain, and was hesitant and slow to even get out of my tent this morning. Once I finally got rolling, things worked out. I got breakfast on the house at a small cafe, which is always a good start! Once on the rail trail connecting St. Joseph and Fergus Falls (100+ miles,) I was enjoying not being on the highway being hit with road spray from passing cars. I met up with some other touring riders and rode with the for a bit. It was nice to ride with some other people for a bit, but our paces ended up separating us. Rolling through town, I met up with Dave Jensen who just finished a California to Florida tour! Currently I am enjoying his great hospitality and shelter from the rain! Check out his travels: http://dreambigtour.net/
Thank you everyone who is behind me. It is truly inspiring to know that I have a solid following, fan club, and support team. Extra thanks to Dave for the hospitality!

No comments:

Post a Comment