Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Weather, It can make it, or break it.

What a difference the weather makes!
Typed on 5/26/13
No matter how prepared you think you are, the reality is never quite what you thought it would be.
I returned to Halfmoon Pond State Park in two days from home. Like an idiot, I didn't take advantage of a perfect dry shelter for the night to dry out my tent from the heavy rain and thunder storms the night before. Getting back on route, I headed west to Great Sacandaga Lake, and had another very wet night. The following day didn't not dry out at all, so I called it short in Dolgeville and got a $40 room for the night. Compared to $25-30 for camping the last two stops, it was a no brainer! This time I took full advantage and hung my tent up in my room for the night. The next morning, It was still pouring but I decide to push on, and after 50 miles or so I started getting dryer weather and heavy winds. This was the day I traded in hills for headwinds, and let me put this on record, I will take a hill over a headwind, any day of the year. Dryer weather made all the difference in my view on the world. Not that its peaches and cream when it is dry, but it certainly isn't the constant misery of pouring rain.
With a dry night of FREE camping in a practically deserted county park, and even my own private pavilion, on the western Lake Oneida Shore, I was lined up for an on schedule Canadian border crossing Wednesday. Today I tried sightseeing for the first time. I knew it was a short day, and had heard that Chimney Bluffs on Lake Oneida was worth the visit. It was alright, I suppose, but honestly not worth even the short 15 mile detour in my opinion. There was a short hike, that I am sure offered better views of the Bluff, but with afternoon passing quickly, and ~20 miles to camp that night, I didn't want to risk the unknown. Sure enough, about 7 miles out, I blew a pedal bearing, and the pedal came right off the tapered spindle. On road decision was deal with it falling off and get to camp. I rigged up a tin can washer that holds the pedal body on the spindle, spinning with out bearings bushings, or spacers, and my foot rubs the crank arm as well, but it will be better than it constantly falling off, and I cant "limp" to a fix in hopefully less than 50 miles. The biggest catch is the fact that tomorrow is Memorial Day, so most quality shops will be closed and my options are down to big box garbage, but at this point I'll take a flat pedal over a bearingless clipless.
5/28/13 update:
Haven't had internet yet, so I may as well make this up-to-date. I found a bike shop open in Rochester. Burts Bikes, the place was HUGE. They have two other stores and close to 5000 bikes between the three shops. I got some Crank Bro's Candy 3's and was on my way.
Jumped on the Erie Canal Trial for a while which was a nice change from the urban nightmare of Rochester where a beautiful bike lane in the matter of an intersection would change to a 65 mph zone, with no bike lane, no shoulder, a guard rail, no side walk, an a gravel bank past the guard rail.
Rolled into camp, I wont say where, but managed to swing free camping WITH a shower...pro status. Rain today just after I broke my tent down. 70+ miles in the rain, and still pouring, with extremely dark skies, another $40 room is warm and comfy.
I am setting into a good rhythm. I wish the weather would dry out for more than two days at most. I like being on the road, but I am getting tired of being wet and cold.
This one is going out to my amazing friends close and far. Thanks for helping out with the "Hey google this for me," and, "Whats the weather going to do?" phone calls. Thanks for talking me out of being a little bitch when things get hard. Respect and Love! Hope to see you all soon!
CRD

No comments:

Post a Comment